There is nothing more refreshing on the eye than splashes of natural colour and form throughout your home. Here’s some up-to-date floral arrangement ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ we learned from the experts.
- DO trust your instincts – choose flowers that you’re first drawn to when you walk into the florist. Go with your heart.
- DO brighten up dull leaves on indoor potted plants with a gentle spray of leaf shine to give them a glossy and fresh look. Don’t use it on tender foliage like that of ferns or African violets.
- DO be bold and creative – start searching the ‘net, go for a walk and hunt around your garden until you find something that will make a fresh statement. Try it, you’ll surprise yourself and give your home a facelift!
- DON’T put your flowers in a dirty vase when you get home. Clear glass is in so it’s important that the vase is crystal clean and the water is fresh.
- DON’T be afraid to use colour when arranging flowers for your home. If you’re scared of mixing, keep things colour blocked.
- DON’T buy flowers from a fruit shop. Fruit gives off a gas that suffocates flowers and shortens their life.
- DON’T buy gerberas. They are dated. If you’re craving a colourful look go for other options, like calendula, dianthus, dahlias and some of the newer breeds of Australian natives.